What is Selenium?
Essential Trace Element
Perhaps no other mineral can match selenium’s versatility and wide array of health benefits. Selenium is crucial for antioxidant defenses, boosts the immune system, and helps prevent cancer in several distinct ways.
What is the Physiological Role of Selenium?
Antioxidant, cancer prevention, synthesis of thyroid hormones
As selenocysteine, the 21st aminoacid, selenium is a component of selenoproteins, some of which have important functional and enzymic activities:
- contributes to the proper functioning of the immune system,
- prevented the onset and development of several types of cancer in clinical studies
- takes part in the synthesis of thyroid hormones
- prevented the onset and deveopment of acrdiovascular diseases in clinical trials
- contribute to the normal eyesight 1-3
Sources of Selenium
Soil in Europe Has a Low Selenium Content
With the exception of Brazil nuts and kidney, there are few good food sources of selenium in most European countries. Many people rarely eat foods that are good sources of selenium. Crab, liver, other shellfish, and fish are moderately good sources, although studies show marked differences in the ability of selenium from fish to increase selenium status.Meat, poultry, and fish make the biggest contribution to the consumption of selenium. Most European soils have a low content of selenium. Despite that, bread and cereals make a substantial contribution to selenium intake.
Why Is Selenium Substitution Important?
Selenium Depleted Soil, Uncertain Selenium Intake, Higher Risks of Diseases
Selenium is a trace element found to a varying extent in soil. It enters the human diet through plants such as whole grains and through the meat of animals grazing on vegetation containing selenium.
Low selenium status has been associated with increased risk of mortality, poor immune function, and cognitive decline. Higher selenium status or selenium supplementation has antiviral eff ects, is essential for successful male and female reproduction, and reduces the risk of autoimmune thyroid disease. Clinical studies have generally shown benefits of higher selenium status on the risk of prostate, lung, colorectal, and bladder cancers. People living in areas with low selenium content of the soil have the multiple risk of cancer disease, infection, and inflammation compared to individuals living in regions with high content of selenium. 4
What Type of Selenium Supplement to Choose?
100% organically bound selenium
Selenium dietary supplements exist in the form of selenium salts (inorganic), or organically bound selenium (high selenium yeast or vagy selenomethionine). Selenium in foods is almost always in organic form . Selenium yeast contains more more selenium compounds than selenomethionine – this is one of the explanaitions of the huge diffferences in the outcomes between the two major cancer prevention studies conducted with selenium yeast (NPC 5) and selenomethionine (SELECT 6) .
In clinical studies, only SelenoExcell ® high selenium yeast reduced the incidence of several types of cancer – it was particularly effective in prostate and colorectal cancer. 7
What makes SelenoExcell® Unique?
Outstanding Clinical Results, Gold Standard Clinical Research, Safety (GRAS)
Milyen kiemelkedő eredményeket értek el a SelenoExcell-lel ?
Össz- és rákhalálozás, új daganatos megbetegedések csökkentése daganatos betegeknél
Nutrional Prevention of Cancer (NPC) Study (1312 patients, 4.5 years of treatment, 200 mcg SelenoExcell® daily, 6.4 years of follow-up)(no change in the primary end point -skin cancer)
- total mortaliy -17%
- cancer mortality – 50%
- new onset of cancer – 37%
- new lung cancer -46%
- new colorectal cancer -58%
- new prostate cancer – 63% 5
Outstanding Clinical Results with Other Kinds of Selenium Yeast
Reduction in Cardiovascular Mortality in Elderly People (in combination with CoQ-10)
Treatment of elderly Swedish people living in the coutryside with 200 mcg selenium (SelenoPrecise) + 200 mg CoQ10 for 48 months reduced cardiovascular mortality by more than 50%. 9
- Selenium. Monograph. Altern Med Rev. 2003 Feb; 8(1): 63-71.
- Rayman, M. P.: The importance of selenium to human health. Lancet, 2000, 356, 233–241.
- Prof. dr. Balázs Csaba. A szelén szerepe a betegségek megelőzésében és kezelésében. http://www.csaladinet.hu/hirek/eletmod/egeszseg_orvos-valaszol/13325/a_szelen_szerepe_a_betegsegek_kezeleseben_es_megelozeseben#
- Kovács Béla és mtsai. Szeléntartalom vizsgálata tartamkísérletben. Tájvédelem különszám 2008 (szerk.: Simon L.)
- Clark LC és mtsai. Effects of selenium supplementation for cancer prevention in patients with carcinoma of the skin. A randomized controlled trial. Nutritional Prevention of Cancer Study Group. JAMA 1996 Dec 25; 276(24):1957-63.
- Lippman SM és mtsai. Effect of Selenium and Vitamin E on Risk of Prostate Cancer and Other Cancers The Selenium and Vitamin E Cancer Prevention Trial (SELECT) JAMA 2009; 301(1): 39-51
- Whitacre M. Exciting Times on the Horizon for Selenium Research. http://www.cypressingredients.com/whitepaper.pdf
- Alehagen U és mtsai. Cardiovascular mortality and N-terminal-proBNP reduced after combined selenium and coenzyme Q10 supplementation: A 5-year prospective randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial among elderly Swedish citizens.Int J Cardiol 2013; 167(5),1860-1866